Herbert,

As an inveterate "jig" builder I agree with the other answers. But will add
my own. If you are dealing with plain old pine stud you don't need a sharp
draw knife (which costs money), a good sharp hunting knife or such will
allow you to whittle it to a gross size (the wood isn't hard). Then the
broken glass suggestion as a scraper can take over.

I would gather that part of the idea of a bus transportable "dummy" lute is
the size. Marion and Vance are right about the weight balance, but you could
drill a hole in the end of the dummy neck and insert a length of pipe
(removable to put the pieces back in the carry bag) to counter balance, it
won't give you right hand coordination, but it will make a balance for the
left hand.

The suggestions for stringing it seem to go beyond what you are looking for,
but they have a point. How do you know if you are in the right place. And
you do need to feel the fret distances as well. But it seems you want a
silent "instrument". And it would be nice if there was an appropriate
resistance similar to the lute strings.

How about this. The "zither pins" used on small harps are cheap, and are
easy to install, but you need a nut to bring the strings to level. You don't
want to spend the time of making a peg head at an angle for this silent
instrument. So take the straight board, a bit over length, and drill for the
strings and set grommets in the holes, Now set zither pins on the reverse
side to anchor the strings (and adjust the tension). Run them over a nut and
to a saddle bridge (you can make that like the nut. Drill behind the bridge
and anchor the strings underneath (you could rabbet the end of the
"fingerboard" to make an anchor point. It is doable, I'm not sure if it is
useful - you would have to eyeball your accuracy of left hand fingering if
the instrument is silent (and fishing line would do for the strings).

Best, Jon