Dr. Marion Ceruti wrote:

> So far, I have not heard of a strap button pulling out of a lute.

It happens all the time, since they're typically put in like tuning pegs,
held by friction.  This has nothing to do with the strength of the
instrument, of course.

> I see no disadvantage with the very slight added weight
> My 11-string guitar has 11 metal tuning machines and I have
> no trouble holding it for long periods of time.

If the rest of your 11-string guitar were as light as a lute, you might have
a problem with balance.

> As for bowed strings, I don't know about your violins,
> but mine have small machine tuners at the loop end of
> the strings.

Fine tuners are common on student violins.