Marion,

      I don't know about your guitar, but every lute
I've played is about 50% lighter than any guitar I've
ever played.  Even with wooden pegs, the pegbox is
already by far the heaviest component of the lute.
The prospect of adding any more weight makes my back
sore just thinking of it.

     It is perhaps not unrelated, but when I took
violin lessons, the first thing my teacher told me to
do was remove the fine tuners from my instrument,
claiming that it effected the tone.  My ear wasn't
exactly accustomed to the minutae of violin tone at
the time, (probably a good thing to spare me from the
full impact of the wretched tone I managed to produce)
but it did seem to me that the sound improved.  Not
only that, but since I didn't rely on the fine tuners
as a crutch, I eventually became able to tune much
faster and just as accurately.

Chris

=== message truncated ===