Before inventing new ways of holding an instrument, it's useful to look at what
early players actually did.

For the lute the following come to mind:

- Iconography depicting extended peghead lutes (ie theorboes, archlutes, late
german baroque lutes) frequently shows the use of a ribbon/strap running from
the base to an attachment point on the rear of the peghead eg from Castaldi
(1622) right up to Scheidler(c1800). Most extant early instruments of this type
also have attachment points (buttons/slotted fittings).

- Many later baroque lutes have two buttons: one at the base and one on the
back close to the neck. It has been suggested (Spence) that a chord was passed
between the two and looped around a coat button (early coats were much
heavier/stiffer than modern). I seen gut strings fastened on a few 18thC lutes
but, of course, these cld be later additions. To be frank, I've tried this
method and have not been happy with the results - has anybosy else?

- rest the lute against a table ( early sources and some iconography) - this
also assists the resonance of the instrument (rather like Aguado's 'tripodion').

Finally, it seems to me that most (not all)  depictions of lute players show
the instrument being held fairly high ie against the lower chest rather than
the stomach (rather akin to the flamenco guitarist position compared to that of
a modern 'classical' guitarist) with the body resting on the left thigh rather
than in the lap.  A holding arrangement should allow for this position and
posture.