Michael,

     I found that many guitarists memorize simply
because they are _such_ poor readers.  I know this was
the case with myself in the beginning and I've seen it
happen to most of my students as well.  However, since
I've delved into the lute world and learned to play in
multiple tunings with different forms of tab, as well
as continuo, I've found my ability to read modern
notation has increased dramatically.

    The up-side of this is that I'm a lot more
versatile as both a soloist, ensemble player, and
general musician: there's absolutely no need for me to
panic if I get a phone call late at night looking for
someone to fill in tomorrow.  The down-side is that I
find it much more difficult to memorize due to the
simple fact that I now play much, MUCH more music.  I
like to think that everything I perform is just as
polished as when I had just a few pieces in my
repertoire ready to go at any single time.  Everything
is just as prepared from a technical and musical
standpoint - there's absolutely no sight reading
involved!

    I like to think that this ability is every bit as
professional (if not more so) as the player who only
memorizes a solo concert.  I hope that an audience
understands this and is willing to cut me some slack
when I've got paper in front of me.

Chris