>Hi Michael,

>I may have missed something, to which instruments are >you referring?  My
>post was to clarify the instrument referred to in the "Four >Arts" of  a
>scholar in China.

>The theory that the lute, oud etc. originated in Asia is >certainly
>fascinating.

>Steve Amazeen

      I think DAS traced the lute to the Afgan Kashmir region. Given the
shape of the predecessor that were well established in China, it seems this
might be a possibility.
  However I think in order to find an instruments origins it might be wise
to investigate the history of strings.  Certainly China was using silk and
gut strings from antiquity!
     I'm reading  1421 the year China Discovered America.
 Apparently a Chinese map was used by Columbus. They had already mapped most
of the world decades before the West put there toes in the water.  I'm sure
the lute also had it's origins from there.
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com