In this discussion, I have found similar instances when string stability
has been wonderful.  Sometimes, I leave an instrument in the case (all gut
strung baroque lute), and after no attention for a few months, I open the
lid & to my astonishment, it is in remarkably good tune.  This is the
exception to the rule, but gut has a bad reputation.  The newer strings are
more stable, in my opinion.  Either that, or we are learning how ti use it
better than before.

In terms of string stability, carbon takes the prize for being the most
stable string ever produced.  It seems as though it is absolutely
impervious to temperature & humidity.  I stopped using carbon about  12
years ago, but prior to that, the saying was that a lutenist could apply
crazy glue to the pegs, because those strings are so stable that they
almost require no tuning after being totally stretched out.  They were also
durable, as I had a set on for around 9 years, without changing strings
[even the trebles!], & they retained the same sound & trueness.  So, if you
want practicality (tuning stability, longevity of string life) go with
carbon.  But, as Roman suggested, it is a rather "cold" sounding
string.  It is loud and clear, as the high density increases its efficiency.

Thomas has stated we are pitch challenged of lying about this, that it is
impossible for an instrument to stay in tune after travel.  I believe Roman
and Kenneth, as we have all had similarly good tuning experiences.

ed