Let me tell about some interesting lute outreach during which I definitely
could NOT keep my gut strings in tune.  Several months ago I was crossing over
the Atlantic in a B747 cargo jet and couldn't resist giving my first-ever lute
outreach performance over the Mid-Atlantic Ridge to my fellow
passenger/couriers.  I played familiar simple tunes like Greensleeves, but
eventually gave up because it was impossible to keep the strings tuned in the
super-dry air cabin environment, not to mention the competition with the noise
from the jet engines!  However, at close range my listeners could at least
appreciate hearing and seeing a lute for the first time.

Kenneth