Ed,
  Thanks for the thoughtful words of advice.
I think gut was the best sound I'd ever heard on my lute, and the response
and attack were outstanding.  The tension was just right.  I tried
everything oiling the strings etc.
    However what Kenneth said about his tuning seemed right on. My strings
are dry as a bone.  I think where Eric lives out here is probably a mile
lower than where I live and is more humid in general.
   My hands aren't really rough at all from shop work, and I usually sand my
finger tips with 600 grit paper etc.  I even use some violin resin  on the
tips to get a good grab on the string.  But I think moisture is more the
problem, in my case.
  Paul Odette was saying he uses nylgut because in essence there not smooth,
and he can grab the string better.  I told him I use bow resin, and he
seemed interested in that idea a little.
   One of thesedays I'll try gut again.

 Another subject..... I just ordered strings for a new 13 course lute from
Chris Henriksen, does he take into account what you were saying concerning
stepping up the diameter of nylgut to match the gut?
   If not what would you recommend in nylgut for a triple head Jauch  main
nut 73cm?
  BTW, I have a good friend who lives in Calif. and  has a gig in Maui.  He
plays guitar and his wife plays violin.  He tells me there are a couple of
guitarist that play in a resort, every year, they take two weeks off, so my
friend and his wife fly over from Calif. and take their place. They make
$1200 a week.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com