Ed wrote:

>Wound 6th courses do not last as long as gut strings, believe me.  I think
>it is because in a wound string, you have 2 moving parts.... the metal
>winding, and then the floss core.  They are actually moving parts, where in
>a gut string, the gut fibers are homogeneously bound.  Gut basses last
>(seemingly) forever.

Have you had any experience with the gimped string? If I recall this is a gut
string with a single wire wrapped in a longish spiral. I have the same problem
Michael does with the wound strings, particularly on the fifth course, wearing
out right around the third fret.

As a side note, has anyone experimented with making a gimped nylon, nylgut or
carbon fiber bass string?

Regards,
Craig

Signup at www.doteasy.com