Dear Craig,

Yes, I have a great deal of experience with the gimped string.  Or, at
least with the gimped string that Dan Larson makes.

I like them very much, as for the 7th course & lower, they have the same
principles as loaded gut, in that with the wire, it makes for a smaller
diameter string for a given length to pitch to Kg. of tension.  What I live
about Dan's gimped string is that in construction, it is a Pistoy, that is
a flexible string, with 3 strands, triple twisted.  He twists into this
string a piece of flexible wire, and therefore, the wire is homogeneously
bonded with the gut, so it will not wear out or get "buzzy".

I do not like them for 5th courses, because they are a stiffer string due
to the wire, and therefore, intonation is sometimes a problem.  But, as
compared to loaded strings, they are true in vibrations, and therefore, a
wonderful sound of high quality.

For a 5th string, I do not recommend wound.... they were probably never
used.  They are way too bright, and they wear poorly, especially in the 2nd
fret position.  For the best, get a Pistoy.  This is for either renaissance
or baroque lute.  They are fantastic, period.  Or for a substitution, you
can try either nylgut 5th or the Savarez KFG.  The smooth strings sound so
much better than wound ones, and they last a long time.

ed