At 04:43 PM 4/20/2005, Roman Turovsky wrote:
> > I'm sorry, but the best examples I can call to mind
> > are the "baroque" mandolini of Dan Larson and the barockmandolinen of
> > various current German luthiers (Dietrich, e.g.): nice lute-related
> > instruments with nice sound, but of dimensions/proportions unlike anything
> > of the baroque to rococo era, in spite of baroque inspired decor and gut
> > strings/frets.  I'm certain there are proper-lute parallels, even if not so
> > obvious.
>Anlike anything baroque/rococo???  How so?

These are rather idealized instruments, much bigger than extant mandolini,
and designed for a smoothness of tone to appeal to modern ears.  As Eric
correctly points out, Dan Larson's standard mandolini (not his Strad
models) are maybe a little closer to some hypothetical original (certainly
not Lambert's), but are still idealized in changing the volume of the
soundbox to something not quite like anything with precedent.  ...But there
must be some proper-lute parallels.  I'm keen for opinion on them.

>...but going all the way is
>a lot better than half-measure, especially if there is a definite
>opportunity, ifyouacquiremydrift.

I do...and I do.

Eugene