From: Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: May 21, 2005 2:28 AM
To: "Dr. Marion Ceruti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lute Net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: Re: The List!

But perhaps you ought really to be thinking of how the Old Ones held the
instrument and use this as the basis for discussion; surely they have something
to tell us.

"Dr. Marion Ceruti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear Arto and other friends,

For the benefit of those who forgot the context, we were talking
about the advantages and disadvantages of various non-skid pads
to be used when playing lutes. If you want to keep your equipment
together, the most convenient way is to store it in your lute case, space
permitting. However, some items can damage your lute if stored in
the case without another container. This container can be made of
cloth, plastic, paper, leather, or any other material that will not damage
your lute. The exact material is not as important as the protection it
provides.

The relevant theme of this discussion here is how to protect your lute
from damage regardless of the source of this damage. Since most
lutenists care about what happens to his or her lute this topic is very
relevant to The List! If you think this off topic, please explain why
you think so.

The text of the original message is something like follows:

"Another disadvantage is that rubber can imprint patterns on the
top of an instrument if you store the rubber in the case on the
instrument, particularly in a hot place. The solution is to roll up the
rubber sheet and put it in a sealed plasic bag. Then there is no
problem with storing it in your instrument case. Paper bags might
work also although I have not tried them."

Taken out of context, many sentences can seem off topic even
though they are not. However, my message was never intended
to be understood out of the context. Removing the context
serves no useful purpose. So you see, Arto, it is not about bags,
paper or otherwise, it is about lutes.

My best wishes for the success of all,
Marion