From: Michael Thames [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 27 May 2005 15:23
To: Jon Murphy; guy_and_liz Smith; LUTELIST; Manolo Laguillo
Subject: Re: symm/asymm & perfect/imperfect

A friend of mine who works at Sandia Labs tried to explain Quantum
Physics
to me over a couple bottles of wine one evening, unfortunately if I
can't
apply it in my daily life, it goes in one ear, and out the other.
    Concerning perfection, I guess it's a state of mind, as Dr. Emoto
has
documented, ones thoughts can have an influence on ones environment.
Although, the Ancients have know this for eons.
   One can perceive a lute as symmetrical, however, after a couple
bottles
of wine, or beer in Jon's case, it begins to take on a non symmetrical
shape, along with everything else.  The exception to this rule, is found
in
historical lutes, which appear non symmetrical,  prior to the
consumption of
your favorite intoxicant, then afterwards actually appears perfectly
symmetrical.

     Concerning the lute I was speaking more about the physical shape of
the
belly, and not the actual sound it makes.
    You can apply the concept of imperfection ( Wabe Sabe) to many
things,
but not the conception of musical instruments. The concept is always
perfect, but man's execution of it is imperfect.
     Sometimes I think lutes, guitars are like people.  The really good
looking ones (people) are rather shallow sounding, and the not so
perfect
ones, are more interesting to listen to.
     This is my second, naturally occurring law as applied to musical
instruments. The first being the rule of relative perception.
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com