Michael,
No, it resulted in the opposite problem.  The strings were about 2 mm
above the neck at the join with the body, and there wasn't enough of an
angle to the strings for them to clear the frets as I played, no matter
how much I dropped the diameters of the frets as I went down the neck.
I ended up making a new bridge that was higher and increased the angle
of the strings (I also made the bridge higher on the bass side by about
1 mm, since most of the problem was on the 6th and 7th courses).  I had
angled back the neck on purpose (as you say, I was following Lundberg's
advice), but I over-did it.  The thought of taking the neck off and
re-angling it was more than I wanted to contemplate, so the bridge
seemed like the only alternative.  In a way, it was an interesting
problem and taught me a lot about string set-up and how to deal with
problems.  I learned that I could remove a bridge that had been glued
(firmly) with hide glue and not damage the soundboard.  Fortunately,
I'm not making a living doing this, so I can screw up without it
affecting my income.  I would have been very unhappy if this lute had
been intended for a client.

Tim