We obviously have a difference of opinion here. I would be interested to see
Martyn's historical evidence. I have heard of using double fret loops for so
long that I took it as a given that this was always an option of varying
popularity, but the question being raised, I can't remember where I first got
that information. (It would have been 30 years ago or more and some of the
information available at that time was pretty sketchy.)

Craig

Craig R. Pierpont
Another Era Lutherie
www.anotherera.com

Martyn Hodgson wrote:

The historical evidence is that double fret loops were generally used;

Michael Thames wrote:

In the lute iconography, I don't recall ever seeing double frets, not to say
they haven't existed, just to say that I haven't seen any that I can recall.
That being said I'm curious to go through the iconography and look specify for
this.