I have played a six course lute double-fretted, single strand of fret going
around the neck twice, with the fretting carefully selected and tied by the
lute's maker Ray Nurse, for many years.  The gut frets, with all gut strings on
the lute, has lasted so well that I have only had to have the instrument
refretted once in 12 years of continuous use of the lute.  The very slight and
gentle "fizz" on the sound of the fretted notes is attractive to me and
characteristic of the sound of this lute.  I think Capirola even refers to this
effect in
his instructions.

The key thing seems to be to have a very low action, a low nut, and very thin
diameters for the double frets.  They grade minimally from down the neck.

Double fretting is frequent in depictions in paintings and prints throughout
the sixteenth century and well into the seventeenth century.  It even occurs
in Laurent de la Hyre's Allegory of Music (Metropolitan Museum of Art) theorbe
player.

I also enjoy single frets which I have on my other two six course lutes.

Kenneth Be