Dear Peter and All:
 Now this is interesting. I assume you put the slightly smaller fret on the
nut side of the "main" fret.
 It makes me think of the frets on my Forrester citterns, which are brass
and include a tiny wooden "ramp" on the nut side, which presumably keeps
one from bending the note sharp when fretting a course.
 But this means all those elaborate formulas for tying a double fret with a
single strand of gut are not applicable. It also means that if you break a
fret in the middle of a performance all is not lost.
Cheers,
Jim

                      "Peter Weiler"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       lute@cs.dartmouth.edu

                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Built-in action?
Double frets
                      06/21/2005 06:14

                      PM

Ha ha! My diabolical plan to inflate the third-quarter share price of
fretgut manufactories is proceeding apace! Dear Martyn, Sean, and Peter,
and all,
Last night I added another fret to each of the frets on my 6 course
lute, in the manner that Sean had suggested, with smaller diameter gut
behind it, as I was unsure as to how much the fret wear, would affect me
getting the right mix with the existing frets.
Well, the result was phenomenal, not only in the playability, but sound
as
well. I guess these old guys new something after all.
Besides the feeling of solidity, and sure footedness,  the lute
immediately had more sustain, not in a bad way, but just enough to even
out
the balance everywhere. It also eliminated, what I consider, a not
musical
transient attack sound, and gave it a crystalline round fundamental
attack.
I think in the way, that Peter was describing, the guitar like effect,
this
is important for the lute, as really, the only thing that  projects, is
the
attack of the string.

If one really thinks about it, half the sound goes into the bridge, and
half
goes into the neck, via the frets. So to not consider the effect the
frets
contribute would be silly.

This was so amazing that I then did it to my baroque lute, with the
same astonishing results.
I did get a little sizzle on the second course second fret, but I
realize this is probably the most fretted note on the Baroque lute, and
the
fret wore there more than other places.
It makes me think that when the BIG BOYS have tried it, they didn't
have time, concerts etc. to let the sizzle fade away perhaps?
When I have tried to turn on, some of my stubborn guitar friends, to the
Baroque lute, they to my horror, declare that the baroque lute sounds
like a
banjo.
These double frets, transform this, thin high partial banjo like
sound, into a full bodied rounded sound, much easier on the ear of the
non
initiated, and more in line with what guitarists consider a good tone.
I have yet to try the single double looped system,,which I will, but If
professionals who don't have the time perhaps Sean's method would be
something one could try in a matter of an hour or so.
I will put double frets on all my lutes from now on.

Thanks again, for the dialogue, and expertise, and your patience with my
journey