I just finished reading some Dalsa in Italian Tab. then tried to read some
French tab. Man, my mind stopped working for a moment. So I checked my
Email.

Chad,
    Interesting you picked up on this as well.  20 or so years ago, I quit
using Honduran Mahogany, for necks in exchange for a lighter wood called
Spanish cedar ( cedro).
    H. Mahogany is the typical wood Hauser used, and the Spanish cedar is
typical for Spanish guitars.
    H. Mahogany is heavier, and gave the guitars more sustain, especially in
the bass, but less warmth and volume.  S. Cedar gave the guitars more
warmth, and openness in the treble, more volume, but less sustain, and less
clarity in the bass.
       I've always told guitarist's that the neck can make or break an
instrument.  Also, if you make a thin neck you get more warmth, ( up to a
point) and the opposite for a thicker neck.
     I also will inlay a piece of hardwood inside the neck not to reinforce
it, but to kill the natural frequency in the neck, so it won't color the
tone.

    Chad as you mentioned adding heaver tangents, for the bass, this makes
perfect sense, as the bass needs damping which is mass. This same principle
can be seen on lute bridges.  On the bass side of the bridge, it is higher,
and wider adding mass, but on the treble side it is lower, and more narrow
creating lightness, as well as stiffness.

  Anyway, in the next few days I'm making a neck for a baroque lute, and
can't decide on going with linden (light ) or Spanish cedar ( a little
heaver) for the core.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com