----

 >Although Thomas Mace recommends single frets he only >gives instructions
for tying double ones:

       This quote taken from David Van Edward's excellent site.
      So in some strange way, this quote might confirm that indeed, most
lute paintings do in fact show single frets.  Although I'm now sold on
double frets, and not having a copy of Thomas Mace's book ( which I shall
order as soon as possible) I am now again confused.  What's up!
           Thanks to everyone who sent me fret tying diagrams. David Brown,
Bernd , and Carl.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com