>In this technique, notice that the hand is very, close >to the bridge.
>But, it is not correct to say that one gets a very >thin tone.  My
>experience is that with current string tensions similar to >those of
>renaissance lutes, the results are not very satisfying.  >There are current
>thoughts in which baroque lutes were strung with a >considerably less
>amount of tension that we now use.  After all, lighter tension >strings
>make a set-up which is much less wear & tear on the baroque >instrument,
>considering that the overall tension is much less

    I think for Toyohiko Sotoh to follow though with a recording on an
original instrument warrants some consideration and thought.
     However don't forget that the French Baroque lute, is quite different
than the German Baroque lute, in design ( string length, size etc.) and
musical culture, and changing times.
         The French Baroque lute was already finished, by the time the
German Baroque lute was in it's glory. Allot can happen in a 100 years
musically speaking!
     It was the German Baroque lute that was left to fight it out with the
keyboard, and the French B lute was obsolete 100 years or so before.
    Ed are you basing your theory on iconographical evidence?  If so, Baron
very clearly states to play half way between the rose and the bridge, at
least for the German style.  I think with less tension one could risk the
clashing of courses, when played with any forcefulness, some that would be
needed in 1750.
MT