From: Vance Wood [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 July 2005 00:08
To: lute list
Subject: Re: Byrd

When I studied Lute at Oakland University in the late 70's  Dr.
Nordstrom
required us (meaning his Lute students) to be able to read and play from
the
Grand Staff.  People that don't do this are robbing themselves of a
degree
of freedom in being able to explore music they may have only one source
for.

Not to mention the enlarged possibilities from intabulating your own
versions, transcriptions, arrangements, or what ever you want to call
them,
from sources like the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book.  I cannot understand
why
anyone in the Lute community would look down their nose at guitarists
understanding that very many of us came to the Lute by way of the
Guitar.
That's like cursing your own father.

As for me I can read and play from the Grand Staff, albeit slowly at
first,
I can sight read both French and Italian Tablature but to be honest I
don't
have a clue about German Tablature and its obscure forms.  Which brings
us
back to the main problem of reading Grand Staff.  A lot of the German
Tab is
available in Staff notation, which means that I can usually find what I
want
somewhere even if it is in Grand Staff.

The real problem with staff notation, be it Grand Staff or treble is in
the
instrument itself and its reoccurring octaves.  Simply put often there
are
conflicts or decisions about neck position where there may be more than
one
choice in a particular passage as where to play it.

Vance Wood.