Dear Arthur,
You wrote:

"(Denys, "O bone Jesu" is by Antonio de Ribiera (not
Compère), a  Spanish musician in the papal chapel during
the time of Francesco's tenure as chamber musician. It
does have that  sultry mood of Spain. A manuscript in
Tarazona calls it "il più bel motetto del mondo."  It
surely represents another effective work arranged for
lute. "

Thanks for that! It's a bit of a shock after thinking
it was by Compère for so many years. David is not the
only one, then, to be misled by Petrucci! I believe
"O bone Jesu" is attributed to Compère in the
"Motteti de la Corona" of 1519. I don't mind being
wrong in the company of Thurston Dart and Gustave
Reese, who rather cemented the attribution to Compère
in my mind, but  I wish it was easier to keep up to speed
with more recent discoveries.

It makes one wonder if Petrucci knowingly fostered
misattributions if they lent a more charismatic
authorship to works included in his publications.
It's not hard to imagine that it would improve their
saleability. It will be interesting to see if Stanley Boorman
has anthing to say about this sort of thing in his book on Petrucci.

Best wishes,

Denys