Hi Stewart,

The note to Gary about linear "vs" vertical is very interesting. I've
been working w/ a lot of 3-part vocal music intabs from the 15th
century and it's usually practical and doable to bring out the cantus
(or tenor) but if the tenor and countertenor(s) start crossing
excessively then the lower voices start getting vertical again. But
even this benefits from picking your lines and keeping them linear,
dropping back (the opposite of accenting --a term for this?) others
where necessary. Entry points are wonderful for recalibrating the ear.

I've noticed Spinacino and Fridolin Sicher (St Gall organ book) will
often add divisions or a figure to accent lines. And it's very helpful
to pencil, circle and arrow various voices --often w/ different
colors-- to remember what is going on and to keep things fresh.

all the best from SF
Sean

PS I'm afraid I've never seen what David's experiencing so thanks for
the help on his end. I wouldn't have thought of
Stringwalker-to-the-rescue since I don't have it.