At 01:55 PM 8/25/2005, "Eugene C. Braig IV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Indeed.  It was first published in 1914,

Actually, the majority of the major articles in Bone were first
published in the US in Cadenza magazine from 1902 to 1906. I have
acquired a small run of Cadenza a couple of years ago, but I am not
sure if I have the complete run. Peter Danner would know better
details. So the 1914 edition began as a compilation of the Cadenza articles.

>  revised in (I believe) the 1950s,

1954.

>and reprinted in (I believe) the early 1980s

1972.

>(I'm in the day-job office and
>away from appropriate references).  Unfortunately, it's getting much harder
>to locate and, once located, copies are asking way more than they should,
>often multiple hundreds US$.

Really? may be I should eBay one of my copies. I have two of them. I
used to have two copies of Zuth, but I gave one of them as a present
to Arthur J. Ness...

>I really enjoy Bone so don't let my nitpickery detract from what a
>monumental achievement this book represented in its time: Bone's work is
>often criticized for dwelling a little too much on "major" composers to
>have only peripherally dealt with guitar and/or mandolin (Beethoven, e.g.)
>and for tending to be a little too accepting of speculation or hearsay
>(e.g., note his confident statement that Mertz was a skilled mandolinist
>who taught and composed for mandolin relatives in spite of nobody having
>knowledge of such works).  He also omits some info that I think is rather
>important (e.g., he makes no mention of Justin Holland being black; as the
>entry reads, Holland comes off as a minor figure of potential interest to
>guitar buffs, but to have achieved what Holland did in the mid-late 1800s
>US as a black man is nothing short of super hero-like).

Perhaps Bone did not know that Holland was black? Judging Holland's
work on its merits, one can understand why Bone would not be too
enthusiastic about it. After all, he was one of them colonials....

The major complaint against Bone, one which Arthur also mentioned,
was that he did not give precise sources for his information.
However, in the many occasions over the last 26 years that I have had
to retrace Bone's information to primary sources, he turned out to
have been dead right every single time. Bibliographical control in
the B.M.G circles of the turn of the last century, were a bit
different than they are today in academic circles, As for Mertz and
the mandolin, you are right that his involvement with the instrument
is not well known. On the other hand, in her PH.d. Dissertation on
Mertz, Astrid Stempnik gives some 10 different references to Mertz
teaching and writing mandolin music. How these references can support
or refute Bone's contentions is a question that needs to be examined closely.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226