David,

     Yes, I've found that de Visee's RH fingering
makes good sense most of the time, it is quite
difficult for me from both my modern guitar background
and my experience playing thumb-under lute.  I am
actually amazed at the quality and sophistication of
this music given that the right hand has to
consistently do things that would have contradicted
the basic tenants of contemporary lute or (5-course)
guitar technique.

One thing that I find especially trying is the common
occurance of 'i' being placed on the strong parts of
the measure.  This "free for all" amoung the three RH
fingers on the fingerboard strings doesn't make it any
easier to find all those low strings with my thumb,
either!  Much of this has to do with the re-entrant
tuning of the French theorbo of course.

Chris