Dear Stewart,

I'm in total agreement here.  There are two further points:

I like to use the 3rd finger rather than the 4th for notes on the 4th,
5th and 6th courses, because the strings are thicker and easier to hold
with a thicker finger, also because the 4th finger is so often needed on
higher courses at more or less the same time.

Even when playing single lines, I don't like one-finger-per-fret,
because you end up playing rapid alternations of the 2nd and 3rd
fingers, which are less independent than 1 and 2 or 2 and 4.  So I often
play whole passages on open string-2nd fret-3rd fret (acdcdacd etc) with
just second and fourth finger (or 1st and 2nd).  This applies to playing
ornaments too.

Using 3rd and 4th finger in rapid  alternation is not easy either, but
you just can't avoid it - think of all those cadences which go
fefefecef, often having to hold a bass note at the same time.

Best wishes,

Martin

P.S. Any replies please copy to me as well as the lutenet because I'm
not subscribed at the moment - [EMAIL PROTECTED]