Dear Thomas,

Yes, thanks for further confirmation that the Codice Lauten-Buch survives.  So
there is a possibility that we will see it some day.  I think there has been
some attempt to get the owner to permit a facsimile. I mentioned earlier gthat
Paul O'Dette mentions its survival in his CD, several others told me about it
at the 1997 Francesco conference in Milan.  And Dinko Fabris said he knows to
whom it was initially sold shortly after Chilesotti's death.

I think it is best to quote the title using the largest word on the page,
Lauten-Buch, because it IS a German manuscript and it would be a mistake to
represent it as being Italian.

There is NO _parallel_ Italian/German titles on the front page and cover of
Chilesotti's edition, as Matanya would have us believe.

It serial title in Italian reads:

            Da un Codice
           Lauten-Buch
        del Cinquecento
Trascrizione in notazione moderna
                    di
        Oscar Chilesotti.
   Lipsia & Brusselles: Breitkopf & Hartel

The title is in Italian, with the largest most important word is the archaic
German spelling for Lautenbuch spelled as Chilesotti found it in his
manuscript, Lauten-Buch.  "Codice" simply means that it is a handwritten
Lauten-Buch, rather than a printed one.

Ophee knows, for example, that many of the pieces carry the title "Tannz," yet
he uses "Danza," a word that was seldom used in 16th century Italian.  I do not
understand why Matanya is so intent in disguising the fact that the book is
German (copied probably in Nuremberg).  Some pieces are copied directly from
Denss, and other pieces are by the Italian/Poljish virtuoso Diomedes Cato, who
we know visited Bavaria.  Maybe we will discover that the pieces are in his
handwriting when the facsimile appears.

Arthur