> At 10:13 AM 8/30/2005, Ed Durbrow wrote:
> > >  If you're playing the cello suites, it's
> > > no more authentic to play them on the lute than the CG -- is it
> > > easier?
> >
> >I think it IS more authentic since there are contemporary examples in
> >tablature of Bach's music and the CG as we know it didn't exist then.
>

> I don't know...transcription is transcription.
Not all transcriptions are created equal. CG is sufficiently removed from
JSB's era to be in the same trnscription category as, say, marimba.

Without specific period
> precedent, like BWV 995, I don't perceive modern transcription for lute
> very different from that for 6-string guitar.  However, I have always
> wondered why modern guitarists shun baroque guitar music in favor of
> transcription from music for wholly dissimilar instruments like cello or
> violin.
Because it makes no sense on CG, as was pointed by Herr Advokat.
RT

Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes.
==
http://polyhymnion.org

Signup at www.doteasy.com