I used to have one. It was fairly light to compare it to a Bream
style galut,e but not as light as my current Venere copy. Mine was
from around 1984, I think, so it may have evolved somewhat from the
77 model. What looked like spacers between ribs were actually pin
stripes painted on.

I had to have the top removed at one point because a brace came
loose. Since taking the top off is rather major, Hiro built me a new
top. He said he put the bridge nearer the end because it should have
been there in the first place. With the new top it sounded pretty
good. My main complaint was with the neck which is quite wide at the
nut, more suited to someone coming from classical guitar.

For $800 including case, I'm not really sure. That's what I sold mine
for. I haven't ever seen one of the infamous Pakistani lutes nor know
how much they go for. What else, if anything, is available in this
price range? I thought there was a maker who was specializing in
making beginner lutes for around a thousand dollars. I'd be a little
concerned that it is 30 years old and it's a bit of a bastard
instrument. That is, if it is the model that I had, it is not a copy
of a historical instrument. I was offered two Aria lutes, both the
same price, when I got mine. One was a copy of a historic 7 course.
Stupid me, I thought I was getting more value by getting the 8 course
model and chose that one! It was a long time ago. Blush.
cheers,

On Oct 24, 2005, at 9:09 PM, Wayne Cripps wrote:

>  I am advising someone about buying a lute.  What is the
> collective wisdom on Shiro Arai's work, from 1977.  An
> "Aria" lute.  This appears to still have the "heavy lute"
> style pegbox and crude rosette.  Would this be a
> 60's style heavy lute, or a light "post '75" lute?

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www9.plala.or.jp/edurbrow/