I think the answer to this is absolutely not! I found the collection
of essays entitled "Authenticity and early Music", edited by Nicholas
Kenyon (OUP 1988, reprinted 2002) very illuminating on this issue.
Will Crutchfield covers this very point, suggesting that
consciousness of historical style is something that only really
developed during the 20th century. Richard Taruskin makes the more
radical point that 'historically informed performance' is, in fact, a
modern style.

A book worth reading , even if only to disagree with some of it!

Eric Crouch