3D""

   "danyel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]><= /B>=20

   10/29/2005 03:42 AM ZE2
   <= /TD> 3D""
   3D""
   "Lute = List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   3D""
   cc
   3D""
   bcc
   3D""
   Subject  = ;
   3D""
   [LUTE]= student lutes (Re: Who wants to sell "New Boy" a lute?)
   3D""    3D""

   Really, this is getting to be too much.  Why should playing lute be= an
   elite club?  I am certainly not glad that more young people don't = play
   lute, and I dream of a world in which I could take a theorbo on the su= bway
   without being asked about it a million times.

   As probably the youngest person on this list, maybe I can offer a differ=
   ent perspective.  When I was a guitarist in conservatory I happened to= go
   see Orfeo, and fell in love with the music.  I didn't care what ma= terial
   the theorbo was strung with (it was gut basses and nylgut stopped st=
   rings).  I had to get a lute.

   Being just a student, there's no way I could have afforded anything in t= he
   price range you are suggesting.  I eventually (after borrowing for = several
   months) got a fifteen year old eight-course by Larry Brown for $800= .  It
   was strung all in "plastic" with wound basses.  That's all = you need to
   play renaissance music.  It only took a little time for me= to give up
   guitar and play lute full-time.

   I have since been able to play other lutes thanks to some very generous =
   loans of instruments, but I know my story is the usual one.  Young pro=
   fessional musicians often are in no position to buy and string lutes of the=
   quality you claim is necessary for enjoyment.  Would you deny them th= e
   opportunity of taking up the lute because of financial concerns?  Ju= st
   think of the debt they accrue just by attending a conservatory in the St=
   ates; and unlike pre-meds, they often have no assurance they will be able t=
   o pay the money back.  Why do they do it?  Because like all of yo= u
   (presumably) they have discovered something in early music that they coul= d
   not live without.  That's all that really matters; whether it be on = a
   cheap old ahistorical lute or an ultra-correct all-gut one, lute music is=
   great music which still does not have enough people playing it.  Any =
   concern about equipment, though it is important, is secondary (being extram=
   usical) to the fundamental concern about and love for the music.

   The function of this list should be to disseminate information about lut= e
   music, not to insult other readers.  Did anyone ever answer Humphrey= 's
   question?  If you want a cheap, decent lute, get in touch with Ed G=
   reenhood of Baltimore.  I think his email is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Charlie

   Right;
   But do you really want a student lute comparable = to the "student" or
   "band"
   instruments made of plastic and sold= at Wal-Mart? Or even the basic models
   of brands like Buffet or= Selmer, carelessly assembled and made of terrible
   materials in= China? Shouldn't we rather be glad to play an instrument that
   = is not heard everywhere and strummed in bands and school orchestras?
   Eventhe exposure to the lute-class at the local conservatory with th= eir
   revolting plastic-strung East German fake-lutes is so devas= tating that it
   would probably spoil my fondness for the lute if= I couldn't avoid it.
   Best wishes,
   danyel
   <= A
   href=3D"http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html";>http://ww=
   w.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html
   =