Charlie,

once again, people accuse me of insulting them (at least you, unlike
Abramovich and others before) did not insult me but answered with a
statement that I can relate to. Thanks.
Of cause I wouldn't mind if more young people would pick up the lute. It's a
tragedy that modern people, old or young, know so little about the great
lute composers and you can only learn by playing. This is the way lute music
was transmitted, not concerts or records. In fact I think every schoolchild
should be given a lute and there should be lute lessons in school
everywhere, like arithmetic or languages. Everybody should be a scholar and
the world would be a better place. The money spent for one day of military
presence in Iraq would last for many good lutes with excellent strings.
Anyway, these *student* lutes should be made state of the art in order not
to debase the lute and the players. Because it is such a sophisticated
instrument it always was an elite thing to play and own it. Now if you want
to spread it the risk is that by making it affordable you bereft it of
crucial aspects, amongst which I count the strings. I can't agree they are
of no importance. You might be from a different background (a former
guitarist) and might pick up on other aspects, but again I assure you, from
the bottom of my heart, no insult intended, just my plain feelings: I can't
stand the sound of plastic strings. It makes me sick, really! I don't think
music is the same regardless what instrument or strings you play upon.
Instruments and sound are very important to me, and I believe (as a
composer, music historian and musician with quite a number of years of
experience with various kinds of music) that sound is indeed a crucial
element of all art music, and that includes subtleties. Music is about
subtleties. Please accept that, it's not an insult to people who don't care.
I am not rich either; it's more like the French spend proportionally more
money on food because they think it's important, I spend more on strings.
Which is not quite true, because the strings Nick Baldock supplies are so
incredibly good they seem to be indestructible. I have changed some
chanterelles in the last couple of month (!) and that was it. But I wash my
hand before I touch the lute and I play under "historic" conditions, in
small rooms alone or for friends. I am very careful with my instruments and
strings. Yet I made a film recording once with heavy electrical lighting and
the strings didn't even go out of tune much more than plastic would have.
You have to get used to gut strings, they need different treatment and some
patience and most people don't have that kind of patience.

Best wishes,
danyel
(ps. I responded to several of Humphrey's private mails, I suspect a lute
alone won't help him)