There are emergencies and then there are necessities. My "flat back" was
designed too with too long a VL for a G tuning of the chanterelle, a fact
that the kit maker has corrected in his new version (due to my input). You
all know that gut has a lower breaking pitch (given length) than the
synthetics, but there is also a small difference with the Nylgut, the nylon
and the fishing line - and in that order. I can tune to F with Nylgut, and
F# with musical nylon - but I can hold G with fishing line. Among those
latter three it is just a small difference in the tensile strength/density
combination.

Not the best solution, the better would be to have an instrument of the
right length for the desired tuning (and I'm building that now).

Best, Jon