I yet have difficulty understanding the purist as I'm not sure how one
defines what is pure. Yes we can attempt to duplicate the several string
formats of old, and we can duplicate the instrument from museum pieces (but
never exactly how they sounded together). But can we duplicate the tempi of
the tunes? I use that as an obvious problem in purism. There is no metronome
setting in the tab, nor can we be sure just how fast a renaissance dance was
(unless we want to assume that Hollywood has the Gavotte right in its period
pieces). Timing, emphasis and the sense of the tune - these we have to
guess. Educated guesses certainly, but still guesses. Nor can we say how the
old masters would have played had they some of our modern advantages. Would
the old lutenist have turned his nose up at amplification if it allowed him
to play above the sounds of the feast?

I believe in being as true to the sense of the assumed sound as one can be,
but that includes a sense of the song - and I'm sure the old boys didn't
play exactly as written.

Best, Jon