"Roman Turovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> > And, of course, Dowland's contemporaries would be quick to pick up the
> > sexual double meanings in all the "death" references in other songs,
> > though these are probably a bad choice for a modern hospital room.
> > HP
> Wholesale transfering the "piccola morte" notion from Italian into English
> is not a useful idea...

but it was done then! For the service on last Sunday before Xmas, the
recorder band and me prepared an Elisabethan song with lyrics dealing
with a Dying Swan. Despite of the textual melancoly, the music was in
triple time and merry F major. No way of playing it slowly. It was
obvious the text had a double meaning, alluding to la petite mort.
During performance, the recorders as well as the chitarrone bravely kept
the secrets of the words >;)
--
Cheers,

Mathias