----- Original Message -----
From: Donatella Galletti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, January 6, 2006 4:10 am
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Music Therapy

> As I was saying, the Alpha state is the state in the brains which
> one has
> before falling asleep, and is particularly proper to raise
> intellectual
> performance. Lozanov, a professor, invented a method which is
> called
> suggestopedia and allows you to learn foreign languages ( as he
> was working
> with them) in one tenth of the time.This has been demonstrated and
> in
> Switzerland they are making a lot of money using his method ( he
> did not get
> money out of it). One of the devices which are used is classical
> music, so
> the Mozart effect works. I think Mozart music would work or any
> Baroque
> music which is linear harmonically speaking. I made some
> experiments and it
> does work, and I also suspect my listening to classical music and
> playing
> has an influence on the plants nearby, because they usually bloom
> even when
> they are not supposed to.

As nice a hypothesis as this is, Donatella, I still can't put much stock in
anecdote.  I need formal, peer-reviewed experimentation.  If there is really an
effect, it should be consistently, statistically, reproduceably demonstrated.
It hasn't been, and where tested, it hasn't been reproduceable.  I love music
and know it has a pleasant effect on my psyche.  I'll have to remain skeptical
about any touchy-feely pseudo-scientific claims beyond that.

Best,
Eugene