Stewart,

The rose has no real effect on the sound except as it releases the enclosed
sound chamber. That is an incorrect statement, but it is "close enough for
government work". The guitar and most other "lute family" stringed
instruments have merely the sound hol. But the lute does have a diffential
thickness in the sound board that is relevant to the sound. The rose is
normally cut into the solid soundboard which is braced according to that
plan. The figures in the rose are irrelevant to the sound (except to the
extent that they block the reflection out of the soundbox). But if you do a
"glue in" you will be changing the vibrating characteristics of the sound
board, and the lute. You can buy pre-cut roses from www.musikits.com, and
you can set them by making a shoulder on the soundboard (and planing the
pre-cut thin), or by making a ring for support and glueing it to the back of
the soundboard to support the rose in a simple circular hole. But that
latter approach (which I have used on other instruments) will change the
stiffness of the soundboard at a sensitive point. I don't recommend it. Go
to a woodcarver's site, you have more than a few in the UK (which I could
name, but won't for the moment). Woodcarvers sites have chisels of 1/8th
inch or less, and mildly curved gouges, that will be quite comfortable in
making a rose from the raw soundboard. And after all, if you make a mistake,
you can always make it into a simple circle. It is not the open area of the
rose that gives the lute its sound, it is the fact of the opening that
provides release of the echoing in the soundbox - and the local stiffness of
the soundboard that is affected by the soundhole.

Best, Jon