For me, it is so much in the quality of the way the six course lute
responds, with a simpler bar pattern in the soundboard, a less "complicated"
sound
with more emphasis on the fundamental, less in the higher frequencies, and  a
good  volume balance between all the courses, that seem on equal terms in
volume and ability to articulate the bass, treble and all the range in
between.
Using octaves down to the 4th course also helps.  I find it  much more
straightforward to phrase the repertoire for six course ON a six  course.

In the same way, I find it much easier to articulate the repertoire for the
11 course lute on the 11 course, rather than a 13 course.

Kenneth Be