Dear Stuart,
 From our modest first forays into reading this rep. I've found that
different size lutes help in the following ways:

a) They put the 'voice range' of the line in the center of the lute
fingerboard. When we consider that they probably didn't have roped or
great strings for the bass 6th course (this is official conjecture,
mind you) it makes more sense to lengthen the lute get it into the
inner courses. Remember the instructions in Capirola and the pieces in
Spinacino that only barely use the 6th course. The outside courses may
have had more intonation issues, too.

b) A descant lute puts the general plectrum usage over more strings
which would wear on the chanterelle less. This would have been good
string husbandry.

c) All instruments playing in the middle fingerboard simply sound more
homogenous.

Of course, we modern luters are blessed w/ workarounds for some of
these issues. Except sightreading on unfamiliar sizes! :^)#

I'm glad you're working on these. Any chance we'll meet up at the LSA
seminar this summer?

Sean

[ps, I sent this to the lutelist earlier but it 'didn't take' for some
reason]