Dear Leonard, Sean & all,
Concerning detuning the 5th course on a 5 course lute -
this made me think of Dalza's pieces which require
lowering both the fifth and sixth courses by a tone
(the Pavana alla Ferrarese group starting on f.27v).
It has never occured to me to think of it this way
before, but that tuning could easily have derived from
5 course lute technique carried forward onto the
6c instrument.

I think Sean's observation re: the Spinacino intabulations
is extremely interesting. I have often wondered how long
it took Spinacino to assemble the material for his two
prints. He was clearly using a 6 course lute by the time the
first was printed in 1507. If some were originally intabulated
for a 5c lute it might suggest that it took a number of years
to create that body of work. It's not proof, of course, but
most of what we know about the Petrucci lutenists is from
the books themselves, and every new insight helps to
further our understanding of them.

Best wishes,

Denys