In a message dated 3/18/2006 12:31:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

--- Stuart Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> those  very high passages in  Spinacino would
> suddenly go into oud  mode?

disaster!  would sound like the instrument had
suddenly  lost its voice. even with tie-on frets,
"plucking" an oud produces a  mediocre  sound - nothing
as rich and resonate as when picked.   without
plectrum, those very early, "oudy" looking lutes -
fret-less or  otherwise - must have sounded pretty
piano.

if tie-on frets were  preferred to fixed because they
offered variable intonation, presumably,  the little
"stack" of frets glued to the face could sometimes be
at odds  with preceding notes.

- bill

---------------------------------------

To Bill and Stuart:

Actually, this brings up an interesting point.  I had my six course  lute
made by Grant Tomlinson intentionally leaving off the body frets.   Very
quickly
I have become used to fingering the notes by the sense of the  location for
finger placement (and intonation by ear).  By angling my  fingertips as
perpendicular as possible and also sharply plucking the string  closer to the
bridge,
it is capable of a quite a nice and loud sound  production.  The difference in
sound between fretless on the soundboard  and the tied frets (it goes up to
the eighth fret on my lute, although one of  my other six course lutes has nine
tied frets) is quite attractive once you  get used to it (for ex. in the
Dalza pavana alla venetiana in "G major" when  the melody leaps up an octave
you
suddenly have to have to land on the  invisible fret 12 and it is exciting for
both the player and the audience,  too).

I had my lute radiographed at the neck join area and discovered that a  short
vertical bar is glued under the soundboard where these notes are  fingered.
This explains, too, why my lute is loud in this range.

Kenneth Be