So what makes a lute?

The main thing which confuses could be that if we/I am/are speaking of lutes I
think of double-strung historical european instruments with a corpus in shape
of a pear.
Although I would count the Oud, Saz, Shamisen but also the mandolins and - yes
- the Wandervogel"lute" among the family of instruments to which the european
lute belongs, too, my imagination is limited in so far to see the
Wandervogellute, the mandolin, the liuto forte and so on as related to the
lute I am imagining with the term "lute". We already have had such
discussions in connection to the Charango :-)
Even H.Scherrer, who was a pioneer in lute-playing and a leading figure in the
youth movement made a rather strong distinction to the "noble instrument of
the lute".

Best wishes
Thomas

--