Nothing beats trying out different instruments yourself first. A "man
of many lutes" who lives in Tokyo is Ed Drubrow: http://
www9.plala.or.jp/edurbrow/
Going to local society meetings can also be a great resource, and
beginners are typically welcome and encouraged. Here is one in
Japan:  http://home.planet.nl/~d.v.ooijen/lgs/

Now of course if you are from Tokyo, Ohio (not just Ohio Gozimashta),
the Lute society of America's festival is the last week of June in
Cleveland: http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/seminar/Cleveland2006/
index.html

With private lessons available from people like O'Dette, McFarlane,
O'Brien, Satoh etc, it would be like Yo-Yo Ma teaching your daughter
how to play open strings on the cello or Yvgeny Kissin showing her
middle C on the piano! I had my first beginner lesson at a festival
like this, and there really is nothing to be intimidated about.

DS