In a message dated 4/7/2006 9:38:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

in this week's  economist (apr 1-7) there's an article
on a pipa player - wu man, by name -  in which the
sound of her instrument is likened to "pearls falling
onto  a jade plate."

would anyone care to wax lyrical over the sound of  a
lute?

And, speaking of pearls: (from Mary Burwell lute tutor)

"The Lute  is, without Contradiction, the King of instruments... [It] is a
Closett  Instrument that will suffer the company of but few hearers and such as
have a  delicate Eare, for the pearles are not to be cast before the Swine; as
I  answered once to a Gentlewoaman that told me that the Lute was a heavy
Musick.  I answered that her Eare  was heavy and that a Violin was most fitt
for
her."
Kenneth  Be