Dear Kenneth,

  Many thanks for this - it looks very convincing.   Especially interesting is
that it appears to be TWO ribbons each attached to DIFFERENT buttons on the
player's tunic  - this ought to provide more stabilty than the single
ribbon/gut thoery.  Just goes to show how important it is to refer back to
historic evidence.

  Any more information on the picture? - provenance etc?

  Many thanks again

  Martyn

Kenneth Bé <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Hello Stewart, Katherine, Luca, and Martin:

  I'm writing to the four of you individually from my private email address
because there is a remarkable print I want to share by Wenceslaus Hollar, the
early 17th C. German who worked in London, showing a lute player from the side
angle where you can clearly see the strap attached to the body of the lute and
looping around the button (actually it is attached to TWO buttons) on his
jacket.  I have scanned and attached it here (I don't know how to post images
on the web, otherwise I'd share it with all on the lutelist).

  A Young Man Playing a Lute
  Etching (P.1698a)
  185 x 130mm
  private collection

  Illustrated inL
  Wenceslaus Hollar: A Bohemian Artist in England
  by Richard T. Godfrey
  Yale Univ Press 1994