during the course of this thread someone suggested
putting a loose piece of chamois between the bowl and
paunch.  normally i put chamois on my thigh to keep
the bowl from slipping but we played at a banquet last
night and while standing and playing, it worked there
as well.

there's always been a resistance to the strap in HIP
quarters and it occurred to me there might be a
genuine reason for not doing so - having to do with
the delicate structure of the lute.

what could attest to you never having this problem
could be the construction quality of your instrument.

- bill