if i understand you correctly then this is where the
men get separated from the boys ...

i screwed the peg into the butt end of my oud -
knowing there was a block of wood large enough to
support it.  screwing another peg THROUGH! one of the
staves making the bowl gives me the fan-tans just
thinking about it.

most ouds have 12 peg holes and 11 pegs - the single
bass string being in accord with the remaining paired
courses.  i simply threaded a leather thong through
the tiniest, empty peg-hole at the top.

squeamishly - bill