Alan:

You have received a number of suggestions of printed publications
appropriate for beginners, but since you asked specifically for PDF
files, why don't you take a look at the LSA Retro-Publications
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/publications/index.html#retro
About half the pieces there would qualify as easy, and all those
currently available are in Renaissance tuning, with various numbers of
courses required.

Regards,

Daniel Heiman