The most important difference for the musician is more in timbre.  The
vihuela has a more "throaty" direct, slightly "shallower" sound and the lute
is a
rounder, more "enveloping" sound.  Also, if you tune most of the  courses in
unisons on the vihuela, as opposed to the lute, it makes a different
experience in playing the same pieces as you would on the lute.

I agree with Ed that you can easily transfer exactly the same right hand
technique from the lute to the vihuela.

To me, both instruments are beautiful to listen to and play, so I have a
hard time deciding between one or the other.

Kenneth